With National Oyster Day (August 5) fast approaching, we’d like to share some fun facts about oysters!
- Oysters are healthy for you! They contain a variety of vitamins and minerals like vitamin C and D and calcium, zinc and iodine.
- All oysters can change gender!
- The lifespan of an oyster can exceed 20 years.
- Legend has it that the Goddess of Love, Aphrodite, emerged from the sea in an oyster shell.
- Only 1 in about 10 000 oysters will produce a pearl.
We love our oysters here at Allure, and have a great selection for you to enjoy. One of our favourites is the oysters gratinated with blue swimmer crab meat, leak and chive mornay. See our full menu for more oysters dishes including the classic oysters Kilpatrick – who can pass on that!